|Appears in||Grand Campaign|
|Starting regions||Lisbon Region; Pamplona Region|
Of all of the European royal courts, Portugal is the youngest, having only just recently come of age, growing from county to Kingdom. As is typical at this stage of life, there have been more than a few growing pains for Portugal, and its inaugural King, Afonso Henrique. As if being recognised as the sovereign of a land were not hard enough at the best of times, Afonso's own mother attempted to seize power for herself before he was forced to defeat and then exile her!
As grim as Portugal's first years have been, there is no doubting that these shameful acts of betrayal within his own family have ensured that Afonso is a true survivor - and only a man that has endured through such troubles is likely to turn his fledgling Kingdom into a western power. Portugal's greatest threat does not lie within however...
Despite some of the Kings and Emirs of the Iberian Peninsula supporting religious tolerance, the Christian and Islamic faiths do not appear to be able to share these lands peacefully. The ongoing Reconquista seems almost certain to ensure that the Moors will be an enemy of Portugal, at least until they are driven back across the straits of Gibraltar. That said, even then they will still be an immediate threat.
The other obvious threat is that of Alfonso el Valiente. No matter how noble he may be, any man who would declare himself Emperor of Spain essentially declares himself the rightful ruler of all of Iberia. It is entirely possible that he will seek to once again make Portugal a mere county to offer in his political barter.
Some of the Portuguese believe that the best tyranny to face is that of distance. Poised on the edge of the civilised world, perhaps Portugal's fortunes lie across the seas and oceans, rather than across her immediate borders.
Excellent light infantry and naval units, good light cavalry.
Lacks professional armies.
- Religion - Catholic
- Long Campaign win conditions - Hold 45 regions, including: Jerusalem Region; Granada Region
- Short Campaign win conditions - Hold 15 regions. Eliminate factions: Spain, Moors
- Financial Start - Starting Purse 9,000 Florins
- Kings Purse- 2,000 Florins
- Lisbon (Large Town, Capital) - Town Guard, Small Church, Town Hall, Grain Exchange, Dirt Roads, Port
- Pamplona (Castle) - Knight's Stables, Mustering Hall
- 3 General Bodyguard's
- 6 Spear Militia
- 1 Town Militia
- 2 Peasant Archers
- 1 Mailed Knights
- 2 Jinetes
- 5 Peasant Crossbowmen
- 2 Cog
- King Henrique (Age 40; Faction Leader) - Command 5, Dread 1, Authority 2, Piety 5
- Prince Affonso (Age 19; Faction Heir) - Command 4, Chivalry 0, Loyalty 5, Piety 4
- Lopo Periz (Age 20; Spy) - 4 Subterfuge
- Verisimo Ramiriç (Age 25; Merchant) - 3 Finance
- Manoel the Corrupt (Age 40; Cardinal) - 5 piety
- Maria (Age 18; Princess) - 3 charm
- Navarra didn't belong to Portugal.
- Afonso's mother, didn't try to seize power. Indeed, she tried to ask the nobles from Galicia (Afonso's uncle's land) to help her make Portugal independent, but the nobles from Portugal were displeased so they turned Afonso against his mother. Their armies fought in the Battle of São Mamede - Afonso's mother lost and she was expelled (not killed) from Portugal.
- Portugal (smaller) and D. Teresa (Afonso's mother), as a wife, were given to D. Henrique, a french crusader and Afonso's father, for his fighting in the Reconquista (recapturing the Iberian Peninsula from the moors) by the king of Leão and Castela (João).
- Portugal had, probably, half of the size in game. Afonso was only considered a king much later.
- Portugal was only considered a real independent kingdom in 1143 with the Tratado de Zamora, made between Castela and Leão and Portugal.
|Medieval II: Total War Factions|
|Starting Grand Campaign Factions||England• France • The Holy Roman Empire • Spain • Venice|
|Unlock-able Grand Campaign Factions||Sicily • Milan • Scotland • The Byzantine Empire • Russia • Moors • The Turks • Egypt • Denmark • Portugal • Poland • Hungary|
|Unplayable Grand Campaign Factions||The Papal States • The Aztecs • The Mongols • Timurids • Rebels|
|Tutorial Campaign||Normans • The Papal States • Saxons • Scotland • Rebels|